Saturday, February 12, 2011

Trip to Taboga Island





















Gave myself a treat by taking a 45 minute ferry ride from the Amador Causeway to Taboga Island so I could spend the day at the beach. 

Turns out Paul Gauguin spent time on the island, but couldn't afford to stay so off he went to Tahiti, but before he did, he painted a mural on the side of a house. Taboga (founded in 1515) boasts the second oldest church (San Pedro, circa 1524, pics included) in the hemisphere, and has the notorious distinction of being the place Pizzarro launched his invasion of the Inca Empire. 

I've included pictures of the sand spit and party boats anchored off it, ala SeaFair, at low and high tide. I swam in the warm Pacific waters on the party boat side of the spit at low tide (note the difference) and a video clip of a boy playing in the surf adjacent to a condemned building, ya the one with hammock hanging underneath it. Apparently, the locals haven't read the sign.
When I returned to the Causeway and called Oscar for a ride, I was sitting on a bench and noticed a sloth climbing around above me.




No comments:

Post a Comment